Thursday, February 10, 2011

Wednesday Night Tacos

Yummo! I love tacos! These were way up there on the list of "Love it" recipes.
The inspiration recipe, for lack of better terminology, is a Rachel Ray recipe featured in the February 2011 edition of her magazine, "Every Day with Rachel Ray." The recipe is called "Smoky Poblano-and-Portobella Tacos" so if you want to look up the original recipe, I am pretty sure it can be found on her website. What you will find here is my adaptation to make it a bit more figure friendly.

Here goes:

4 Poblano Chile Peppers
3 Sprays of Cooking spray
3 medium Portobella mushroom caps, thinly sliced
1 red onion, thinly sliced
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 1/2 tsp of Cumin (or more... I tend to add a lot since I love Cumin!)
1 tsp dried oregano
1 roasted red pepper, sliced
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup of Beer*
Corn tortillas
Cheese, sour cream, lime wedges, and cilantro for topping the tacos

Directions:
Char the poblanos on a grill or under the broiler until blackened all over. Place the peppers in a bowl and cover until cool enough to handle. Wipe off the charred skin, seed, and slice.

(Make sure the peppers get fully blackened or you will have a really hard time getting all the skin off)

In a large skillet, heat the cooking spray over medium to medium high heat (I used a cast iron skillet so I went with medium). Add the mushrooms and cook until darkened and softened, 7-8 minutes. Add onion, garlic, cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper and cook for 10 minutes longer. Deglaze the pan with beer and stir in the poblanos and red peppers.



According to the original recipe this should make 12 tacos so divide it up evenly. I guesstimate on points a bit and by my calculations one taco with 1 tablespoon of cheese was 5 PointsPlus.

For the black beans I went the easy route this week.

1 can of black beans
1 can of Rotel
2 tbsp chopped cilantro
1 1/2 tsp Cumin

Add all ingredients to a pan, heat through.
3 Points Plus per approx. 1/2 cup serving.

Now... the rockin' guacamole... I cannot tell you how hard it was not to eat this whole bowl... the only thing holding me back was the points. This is from the Skinnytaste.com site... so good!

Guacamole
Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
Servings: 6 • Size: 1/6th • Calories: 149.4 • Points: 3 ww pts
Fat: 13.3 g • Fiber: 6.1 g • Carbs: 8.8 g • Protein: 1.8 g
3 medium hass avocados, halved
1 lime, juiced
1/3 cup red onion, minced
1 tbsp chopped cilantro
kosher salt and fresh pepper
Place the pulp from the avocados in a medium bowl and slightly mash with a fork or a potato masher leaving some large chunks. Add lime juice, salt, pepper, cilantro and red onion and mix thoroughly.



This was a very pointalicious meal. I could have cut it back to a more manageable PointPlus value by skipping the guacamole... but I love guac! Here is my plate... heaven help me... 19 Points Plus total. However, if you are willing to do it... its worth every weekly point. ;) (They would probably kick me out of a Weight Watchers meeting for saying that)

No comments:

Post a Comment